Thursday, July 12, 2012

Farmer's Market


I love knowing where my food comes from and I love to know the farmers who grow the food I eat.  Lately, I have been paying more and more attention to the food that Molly and I eat.  We have been eating more whole foods, less grains, and have eliminated practically all refined sugar and processed foods.  Along with that, I am trying to incorporate more local and seasonal foods into our diets.  
We have a small garden in the backyard and Molly loves to pick the tomatoes and eat them straight from the garden. This has also been a lesson in colors, as she learns to only eat the red ones and not the green ones.  I want to raise her to know that food is not just conjured up on store shelves, but to know that a lot of hard work and dedication goes into growing and producing high quality foods.  Unfortunately, we can only do so much in our little, overly shaded backyard.  
Luckily, we are fortunate enough that our local farmer's market is only five minutes from our house.  We definitely don't go to the market every Saturday, but I am trying to get better about that; better about supporting our local farmers.  
But this weekend, we did go.  We also went to a blueberry farm and I am so glad that we did; it was the last weekend of the season.  Since my other photography love is food photography, next to children and families, I couldn't resist these fresh, summery temptations.









I look forward all year to picking fresh blueberries.  Usually we make jam and jelly at this point but since we are eliminating refined sugars, I need a new recipe.  If anyone knows of a good recipe using honey or maple syrup, please let me know!
These are not the famous Fredricksburg peaches, but they are local and organic, fresh juicy peaches.  We are waiting until the end of the season for the free stone peaches to get some from Fredricksburg.



Between me, my mom, and Molly, we go through almost half a dozen eggs per day.  So having a lot of healthy, nutrient dense eggs around is essential.  I found that I can get them the cheapest at the farmer's market.  Win win.




Now that I have gone through all of my pictures, I am wondering what kind of mother I am for not getting pictures of Molly's first time to pick blueberries!  I can't believe I don't have a single picture...not even on my phone!  I guess there is always next year.  I did happen to hear about a pick your own peach orchard in The Woodlands, so we just might have to check that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment